In this activity students can download a GSP sketch that allows them to practice determining the hypotenuse (on the first page) or a leg (on the second page). The sketch will generate an infinite number of questions and give a full solution for each.
Note: Although Pythagorean Theorem is introduced in grade 8, it is only supposed to be relating more to the area model so these practice problems may not fit that.
- MPM1D, MFM1P: D, C2.2 - solve problems using the Pythagorean theorem, as required in applications
- MPM2D, MFM2P: C,A2.2 - determine the measures of the sides and angles in right triangles, using the primary trigonometric ratios and the Pythagorean theorem;
- All that is needed are the electronic downloads (below)
- Note that this really works well on an iPad using the Sketchpad Explorer App (which is free)
- You can also use this on any web based computer (or Chromebook) with this Web sketch