Note: This is an update to the same activity posted last year but now with a grade 8 and Explain Everything version
Double Note: This has been updated again to now include a Desmos card sort. So both card sorts are now transferred to this new Desmos feature. You can learn about Desmos Card Sorts by clicking here. Download the Teacher versions (which you can copy) of these activities below in the download section.
- Gr7PA - translate phrases describing simple mathematical relationships into algebraic expressions using concrete materials
- Gr8PA - translate statements describing mathematical relationships into algebraic expressions and equations
- MPM1D, MFM1P - As review
- For the grade 7 version there are four different (but similar) sets. One set per page. For the grade 8 version there are three different (but similar) sets. One set per page.
- Print each page on card stock (we also suggest laminating). We suggest that each set be printed on different colour card stock for easy sorting. Cut each out and put each set in an envelope.
- Obviously you will have to decide how many sets you will need for your class depending on whether you pair students up or not.
- Note that in the version with equations, there are some algebraic expressions that do not have matching sentences. In these cases, students will have to write their own.
- If you choose to use the Explain Everything version, then you probably want to download that .xpl file and put it on a server where your students can get easy access to it.
|Explain Everything Screenshot|
- Depending on how many students you have you may want to do this individually, in pairs or in larger groups. The activity is not super complex so we don't recommend anything bigger than pairs.
- Students take each set and sort the algebraic expression with the written version.
- When they are done their set they can trade with another group that has a different colour of cards. If they are using the Explain Everything version then they can just go to the next slide.
- There is a homework sheet for consolidation that includes both expressions and equations as well.
- NumberSentences-Expressions (doc. PDF, XPL, Desmos)
- NumberSentences-Equations (doc, PDF, XPL, Desmos)
- NumberSentencesHomework-Equations (doc, PDF)
- Entire Folder
Did you use this activity? Do you have a way to make it better? If so tell us in the comment section. Thanks