We found these puzzles originally on the Mr Barton Maths site under the Tarsia Jigsaw Page. The nice thing here is the Tarsia software can be downloaded here (click the green button to download - unfortunately it is Windows only) and you can edit or create your own puzzles. So this puzzle was one of our creations. There are even banks of hundreds of already created puzzles on the site (just scroll down on the Tarsia page and look for the smiley faces for zipped files). These are great puzzles to pull out when you want to break up a long class or have 10 min at the beginning or end of a class to fill.
- Gr8NS - multiply and divide decimal numbers by various powers of ten
- This activity can be done in groups or individually and can take about 15 min depending on the student.
- Hand students the entire set and ask them to match up the different representations of the same number. The outside edges are blank.
- In this case the finished puzzle looks like a hexagon.
- Note: this puzzle is challenging because many of the questions have the same digits.
- Multiplying and Dividing decimals by powers of 10 Tarsia cards (pdf)
- Multiplying and Dividing decimals by powers of 10 Tarsia solution (pdf)
- Multiplying and Dividing decimals by powers of 10 Editable (xjsw)
Did you use this activity? Do you have a way to make it better? If so tell us in the comment section. Thanks